How long will I continue to receive my UK benefits in Spain?
If you qualify and are entitled to take your UK benefits with you to Spain (or other EEA country – European Economic Area)*, how long you continue to receive these benefits is dependent on what your circumstances are and if they change.
- You will continue to receive the relevant benefits as long as you remain in receipt of ‘relevant UK benefits’**
- Benefits will be paid for as long as you remain insured from your NI Contributions and are qualified to receive contributions based sickness benefits**
How long are benefits paid to family members of:
- A person working in the UK – For as long as that person continues to work in the UK**
- A person who has paid sufficient NI Contributions to be able to claim contribution based sickness benefits – For as long as that person remains insured through their own NI contributions**
- A person in receipt of short-term incapacity benefit or who qualifies for contributions based employment/support allowance – For as long as that person receives that benefit**
What else can affect the length of time I receive my benefits?
- Your needs or circumstances change
- Whether or not you have made sufficient NI (National Insurance) contributions
What else can affect my eligibility to continue receiving these benefits?
- Entitlement to sickness benefits or state pension in another EEA country*
- Your job is in another EEA country*
* Plus Switzerland
** Or if shorter, the duration of the award
More from Living in Spain
Is Sky the only option available for English TV in Spain? There are other options for your English TV Free to Air …