Spanish Living Home Page

The Cathedral of Cordoba

Cordoba Cathedral

When the Christians reconquered Cordoba in 1236, they consecrated the mosque to become a Christian cathedral.

In the 13th century the first modifications were made and the Royal Chapel, Capilla Real, was added. In 1523 the Catholic Church and King Charles V put through, against the will of the town's administration, the building of a Christian cathedral inside the original mosque. The work took 234 years to complete and the original Gothic style is thus combined with Baroque and Renaissance elements. Remarkable sights are the Cardinal's Chapel and its treasure including the Enrique de Arfe (Enrique de Colonia), an ivory crucifix of Alonso Cano and also important sculptures and paintings.